Music 1

Friday, August 19, 2011

August 15, 2011

Greetings from the crazy, crazy world of Guatemala! It is my first week in the field and things are already crazy, but definitely in a good way. So on Tuesday we left the MTC, and there were 18 of us in total who left, 7 gringos and 11 latinos. They took us to the area in the mission where the APs live to stay for the night until the next day when we would receive our first areas and trainers. The area is called Boca del Monte. It was a very poor area but the people were great. We went tracting that first night. I went with a nuevo Laino and an expierenced Latino. So no English for me :) we tracted until about 7 when they asked us to return for dinner and get ready for bed. The APs miscounted how many missionaries were there so they bought to many pizzas. We each ended up getting our own pizza which was good because I was starving. haha. The people at the MTC forgot to tell us to pack an overnight bag so we didnt have shampoo, towels, or toothbrushes. Oh well, we survived somehow.

The next day we woke up and went to this giant stake center where all the missionaries were. I got my trainer and first area! My area is in Villa Hermosa and it is called Ciudad Real. It is in the capital. It is a very, very poor area but the people are crazy and nice, especially to a 6 foot 2 white pellirojo kid, or in meters, thats about 1.95 meters. The only way I can accurately describe this place is like China Town San Francisco, but Guatemalan style. Its nuts. Anyway. My trainers name is Elder Lagos. That´s Spanish for lakes. And yes. He´s a Latino. 18 new missionaries and 3 latino trainers and I got one. Just my luck! But it´s great. He is from Honduras and doesn't speak a word of english. (well he does now because I taught him) so from the minute I wake up, to the minute I go to bed, it´s Spanish, all the time. Spanish. But it´s good, our area is fairly big considering we walk everywhere. The members though are amazing and many of the kids are learning english so they are always trying to speak English with me. But it´s great.

We already have a baptism set up! Crazy huh? Unfortunately I didn't do much of the work. It´s a mother and son and their names are Kony and Dicxon. Her husband passed away. Elder Lagos and Elder Richards (Elder Lagos companion before me) already had the baptsm date set up but I have helped confirm it. It is set for next weekend so hopefully everything goes well. We have a lot of other investigators but none that are progressing at the rate we would like them to. We have met a couple people who could be hopefuls because they are humble and want to learn but I´m still new so we haven't had very many lessons with them. So pray for them! :)

The next thing I want to talk about is the weather. The weather is CrAzY. While in the MTC, it would rain. But I have never, EVER experienced the rain like I have the past couple of days. There are not words in the English dictionary that can accurately describe the thunderstorms the past couple of days. But I will try. The rain comes down so hard that you cant even hear yourself think. The lightning is a constant event that lights up the night sky, all the time. And the thunder, it doesn't thunder, it crashes. I have never heard thunder like that in my life. And when it thunders and I have the urge to scream like a child and run back to the appartment, there are women and children who hardly notice it. In other words. Holy heck. it´s crazy.

My appartment is nice. It is large, especially only for the two of us that live there. There is running water and the shower actually does have hot water. Well thats about it in the shower. 2 options: scalding hot, or freezing. The first day I chose freezing which was a mistake. Now I take scalding hot showers because hot water is hot water right? And we even have a cocinera! She´s the best. Her name is Lety (pronounced Lady) and she is a member. She cooks lunch for us everyday. We are so lucky because I have learned that other missionaries in my district don't have cocineras and there are even a couple missionaries that have to use buckets to shower.  That would be the worst ever.

Now I know what you are thinking, where are the pictures you promised us Elder Yates?! I regret to inform you that I forgot my camera at the appartment. Please accept my apology with a promise that I will definitely send some pics next week. I do apologize. But I would love to here everything that is going on in your lives. Please let me know! Keep those dearelders coming! I love you all more than words can describe and I cant wait to see you beautiful smiling faces in just over 21 months. Stay tuned for my next letter home with pictures! :)

Finally, there is a word here that is hilarious. Everyone here says it. The word is ´puchica´ It means like wow/cool/dangit/oh my heck. So start saying it there! Like "awww puchica" when something doesn't go quite right. :) It's fun. Oh and the word calidad means like cool or sweet. so put that word in your vocab too! Love you all and will write again soon! Love you all!

Elder Yates

No comments:

Post a Comment